Who are The Sharp End ?
Our full name is the 'Seniors Health & Active Retirement project'. We are a healthy living centre for people aged 50 and over living in Hackney. We offer a wide range of services and activities to promote the health and well-being of older people. We are an independent charitable project and a company limited by guarantee. We have been operating since 1996.
We welcome people of all ethnic, cultural and religious backgrounds. Our building is fully accessible to people using wheelchairs, Disabled parking available for Blue Badge holders.
Company limited by guarantee in England and Wales : Number 3140955
The overall aim of The Sharp End is to maintain and improve the health of older
Our interpretation of health is broad and holistic, encompassing all aspects of physical, mental and social well-being.
Our specific objectives include:
- prevention and reduction of disease.
- identification and reduction of stress and the promotion of good mental health.
- the combating of isolation and loneliness.
- providing a resource to enable people to have fun.
- supporting and empowering older people to improve the quality of their lives and specifically their health.
A Few Facts and Figures
The oldest member of the Sharp End is 99 but this does not stop her attending more than 6 hours each week and engaging in some of our most demanding and energetic classes . More than half of our members are aged between 60 and 79, remainder are over 80 years of age. Fifty six percent of the 291 members live alone.